In April, 1930, land was purchased and cleared; a grass runway was constructed and then used by airplanes.
During the Great Depression, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed our historic stone hangar. This 80′ x 100′ fieldstone structure remains one of the only two such buildings still in air service today; it has been recognized by the Smithsonian Institute.
A paved east-west runway, 75’ x 3900’, was constructed during the summer of 1949.
Scheduled passenger service with the Douglas DC-3 by Wisconsin Central Airlines began December 1, 1949.
A new runway, 150’ x 6500’, was constructed in 1978.
In 1978 Gogebic County (Michigan) entered into an agreement with Iron County (Wisconsin) for joint management of the airport. The Airport Board currently consists of 5 members, 3 from Gogebic County and 2 from Iron County.
Three new hangars were constructed in 1987, 1989, and 1995.
East parallel taxiway construction was completed.
West parallel taxiway construction was completed.